HW/BOC: from alt.punk: the weird Moorcock/Sex Pistols connection - amongst other topics...

christmu@eunet.no christmu at EUNET.NO
Fri Sep 7 20:18:10 EDT 2001

Extracted from mine and other posters' discourse in alt.punk some time ago,
in which I couldn't help but eventually bringing up Michael Moorcock's
wildly "freestyle" adaptation of The Sex  Pistols flick "The Great
Rock'n'Roll Swindle"-  discussed amongst other things under the topic "punk
guys=hot" (gah...! time to trim that hair...)

-------------

Subject: Re: punk guys=hot

<20010803035320.09292.00002721 at ng-fa1.aol.com>...
 >>anybody here know a sid vicious look alike? mmmmmm
 >>
 >>-jenna

I had a vivid dream once that I was Sid Vicious, and I was sitting playing
guitar on a post apocalyptic massive landfill by a dumpster full of trash.
Though I don't look like him in real life, I admit to sometimes picking my
nose and I do alot of speed.

I had another dream once I was David Bowie, getting kisses from groupie
girls in my limo, but I later turned into Vyvyan from The Young Ones when I
arrived at a movie theatre, frantically trying to find my seat. Maybe that
makes me more of a Johnny Rotten type?

I sold my CD of "Never Mind The Bollocks" years ago when I sold a bunch of
my CD collection and never did pick up "Filthy Lucre Live". Never was a big
Pistols fan.

But the guy in the movie "Sid and Nancy" looks enough like Sid Vicious to
convince, no?

Doublespeak wrote in message <3B6B1AC6.ACAA83FF at hotmail.com>...

 >Gary Oldman, if I'm not mistaken.
 >
 >--
 >You wot?

Sid Vicious and Dracula. What a convincing combination...

 >I must say that he was more convincing than that Scouser playing Johnny
 >Rotten..
 >

 >--
 >You wot?

I saw this movie a long time ago so my memory is very hazy. All I remember
of Johnny Rotten in the film is the scene where he's raising hell to Black
Sabbath's "Paranoid" playing on the Jukebox. Oddly enough I remember Kim
Deal having somewhere quoted the very song as "the first true punk song".
At least the movie acknowledged Black Sabbath as an influence on The Sex
Pistols and 70's punk in general.

But, tangenting further off, even Michael Moorcock's written adaptation of
"The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle" had Lemmy appearing, quoted as "a true
punk, forget that he had long hair". Hell, Moorcock even had the balls to
put his own fictional character, transdimensional secret agent and
apocalypse junkie reincarnate Jerry Cornelius in the lead role. Though I
never saw the actual movie version which appearantly is a whole other animal.

------------------------------

So I just had to get that damn Moorcock reference in there... :) Hell,
David Bowie ought to play Elric in a movie... and a distorted Eric Bloom or
Dave Brock (or even mistuh Moorcock hissef!) could be the evil voice of
Stormbringer... and somebody certainly better do a convincing fucking
Arioch... but who'd play a sultry, sleeping young Zarozinia then?

Of course there already is a Jerry Cornelius film, aka "The Last Days of
Man on Earth" aka "The Final Programme", which even has Norwegian actress
Julie Ege in a small role... its directed by John Finch,  and is certainly
a weird romp through the Cornelius SF mythos... and no, Johnny Rotten
certainly doesen't make an appearance... Though Michael Moorcock ought to
play Karl Marx in a movie if you ask me!

Chr. (NB: an anarchist and an antichrist.)

ObCD: Third World War - Third World War

---
Visit A Disease of The Mind at
http://home.eunet.no/~christmu/pulp/index.html - a library of rare pulp
covers and other fallout from the 20th Century.