HW:Calvert influences

Layla Thompson lthompson3 at UCLAN.AC.UK
Sat Sep 8 09:38:18 EDT 2001

Oasis and America are two things that were thrown together for the sake of money and popularity...

 If you would care to take a step back about 2 or 3 years before songs such as Wonderwall and Dont Look Back in Anger were released, to the days when Oasis played for the love of it and not for the PR groups. I am sure that you would be pleasently suprised at the level of quality of the songs..

 Definatly Maybe is one album that I would very happily recommend to any self respecting "rock and roll" fan....

 (not, however, to one that was perminantly stuck in the past!! :p )

  That album and the B sides to their early singles are all great songs.. their later stuff DOES tend to be a little "wishy-washy".. but, all good things must come to an end..

 and I strongly believe that if they had been left alone for a little longer, and if the stupidity of Liam Gallagher hadn't gotten in the way.. Oasis would have been a much better band than they were/are.

 Now they are all too rich and too washed up to do anything creative....

 but, I'm still hoping that Noel can do a little something on his own....

 Layla

Nick Medford wrote:
> I don't know how well known the execrable Oasis are in the States, but you
> could have a field day with them.

Oasis, like every rock band that becomes massively popular in the US today,
only had two songs consistently played on the radio. "Wonderwall" was in
such heavy rotation for a while that it would sometimes be playing on two
separate stations at the same time...and Rochester is a relatively small
radio market. Fortunately, I haven't heard any Oasis on the radio for a
couple of years now.

Ditto for Blur, though I like a few of their songs. Actually, anything
resembling '60s psychedelia is passe now. I bet even the next Lenny Kravitz
album will disappear without a trace.

Brian
obCD> The Bevis Frond "It Just Is"

--