OFF:something fun and sightly worrying

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Sep 9 08:21:50 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim <ma-paharper at IOPENER.NET>

> Find your Star Wars Name!!
> Your first name:
> 1. First 3 letters of your 1st name
> 2. First 2 letters of your last name
>
> Your last name:
> 3. First 2 letters of your Mom's maiden name
> 4. First 3 letters of the city you were born in.
>
>  this is fun
> TIMEL DAOFF

Just out of curiosity - where did you find this?     Given that your
mother's maiden name and sometimes the place you were born are often
used as passwords or authorisation checks for bank accounts or credit
transactions over the phone I wonder if knowing the first 2 or 3 letters
would make it easier for code hackers to break into people's accounts or
do an identity steal.     Admittedly I can't guess where OFF is (the
atlas only really suggests places in Germany) but a Co*********** in New
(?York) wouldn't be that hard to do a computer search for in the
marriage and birth records.

It's not that I'm paranoid or anything - but they really are out to get
you!!
8-)
jill