Hawkwind

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Sep 14 19:22:25 EDT 2001

At 6:14 -0400 14.09.2001, Jean Lansford wrote:
>On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
>>Boy, though -- if you're worried about politics on this list, it
>>ain't *nuthin'* compared to what I'm seeing on the Gov't Mule list,
>>which I also just rejoined.  Some of the people there have mindsets
>>that are indistinguishable from terrorists themselves.  Christ ...
>
>And Baen's Bar, where one of the Baen authors has just gone from
>"local curmudgeon" to "flameout." As many active fen as hang out
>there, word will get around quickly; I wonder how many others
>will join the saner Barflies in taking him off their "must buy"
>list. *shaking head*

Don't tell me!  I like the works of a bunch of Baen authors and don't
want to know which one/ones is/are the loonies (insofar as it can't
be guessed ....)

>Then there's SFF.net; I spent much of Tuesday relaying TV reports
>to the newsgroups server there for people who were trapped at
>work. A friend of mine joined the group there to keep up with my
>"reports" posts; she told me later, "These people scare me."
>(What did she expect from the man who invented the Draka?) At
>least they've mostly calmed down by now.

Stirling?  It's not hard to imagine. Heck, I like quite a lot of
"miltary SF" but many of the fans (and authors) are a little
monolithic in their thought processes (and political allegiance).  It
has sometimes amazed me how people can rant about the defense of
"freedom" while simultaneously damning the same in one breath.

Then I got pathetically used to it.

>"I fear all I have done is awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with
>a terrible resolve." --Admiral Yamamoto

It would be nice to see the States come together with the other
countries who have vested interests in this stuff and work towards a
common goal. The potential is there .....

Ah, this is all embarassingly off topic!

Cheers,
Carl

ObCD: John Williams & the LSO, _Star Wars: A New Hope_, "Destruction
of Alderaan" & "The Battle of Yavin".