Clear Channel suggests 150 songs for stations to avoid (9/18/2001)

Karen Kusic kkusic at EXECPC.COM
Tue Sep 18 09:33:34 EDT 2001

Blue Oyster Cult, "Burnin' For You" banned!!!

http://www.pioneerplanet.com/news/ncl_docs/137030.htm

 Clear Channel suggests 150 songs for stations to avoid

 BRIAN LAMBERT Media critic

 Movies and TV aren't alone in reviewing the content of their
entertainment in the wake of last week's terrorist attacks. Clear
 Channel Inc., which owns over 1,200 stations including seven in the
Twin Cities, is circulating a list of 150 songs its local
 programmers might consider avoiding for the time being.

 Clear Channel managers here say the list is merely a "memo from the
main office," not something they must adhere to.

 Many of the songs on the list are heavy-metal warhorses like "Sweating
Bullets" by Megadeth, "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica
 and a half-dozen cuts from AC/DC including "Safe in New York City,"
"Highway to Hell," "TNT" and "Shot Down in Flames."

 Some of the 150 song titles "suggested" by Clear Channel are baffling.

 John Lennon's "Imagine" and The Youngbloods' "Get Together" would seem
to be precisely the sort of message people might
 like to hear in difficult times. Likewise, who could possibly object to
Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"?

 Several Beatles songs -- "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Obla Di Obla
Da" and "Ticket to Ride" -- are also on the list.

 "You know what this is?" says KEEY-FM's operations manager Gregg
Swedberg. "It's a bunch of people sitting in a room
 saying, "Think of anything, anything, anywhere that might possibly be a
little too much, that people might be sensitive to.'

 "This is just another idea we get. Something for us to "consider.'
Nothing more than that."

 Swedberg adds that K102, a country-music format, returned Garth Brooks'
early '90s tune, "We Shall Be Free," to its rotation in
 reaction to the crisis.

 Rob Morris, program director for Clear Channel-owned KDWB-FM, said he
expected few if any changes to his station's playlist.

 ABC-owned KXXR-FM, aka 93X, did not respond to several calls asking
what changes they might be making to their playlist.

 Here are some of the other reported song titles Clear Channel suggested
its stations avoid:

 Black Sabbath, "War Pigs," "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," "Suicide
Solution"; Dio, "Holy Diver"; Steve Miller, "Jet Airliner"; Van
 Halen, "Jump"; Queen, "Another One Bites the Dust," "Killer Queen"; Pat
Benatar, "Hit Me with Your Best Shot," "Love is a
 Battlefield"; Oingo Boingo, "Dead Man's Party"; REM, "It's the End of
the World as We Know It"; Talking Heads, "Burning Down
 the House"; Judas Priest, "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll"; Pink Floyd, "Run
Like Hell"; Pink Floyd, "Mother"; Savage Garden,
 "Crash and Burn"; Dave Matthews Band, "Crash Into Me"; Bangles, "Walk
Like an Egyptian"; Pretenders, "My City Was Gone";
 Alanis Morissette, "Ironic"; Barenaked Ladies, "Falling for the First
Time"; Fuel, "Bad Day"; John Parr, "St. Elmo's Fire"; Peter
 Gabriel, "When You're Falling"; Kansas, "Dust in the Wind"; Led
Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"; Bob Dylan/Guns N Roses,
 "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"; Arthur Brown, "Fire"; Blue Oyster Cult,
"Burnin' For You"; Paul McCartney and Wings, "Live and
 Let Die"; Jimi Hendrix, "Hey Joe"; Jackson Brown, "Doctor My Eyes";
John Mellencamp, "Crumbling Down," "I'm On Fire"; U2,
 "Sunday Bloody Sunday"; Boston, "Smokin"; Billy Joel, "Only the Good
Die Young"; Barry McGuire, "Eve of Destruction";
 Steam, "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey"; Drifters, "On Broadway"; Shelly Fabares,
"Johnny Angel"; Los Bravos, "Black is Black"; Peter
 and Gordon, "I Go To Pieces," "A World Without Love"; Elvis, "(You're
the) Devil in Disguise"; Zombies, "She's Not There"; Elton
 John, "Benny & The Jets," "Daniel," "Rocket Man"; Jerry Lee Lewis,
"Great Balls of Fire"; Santana, "Evil Ways;" Louis
 Armstrong, "What A Wonderful World"; Ad Libs, "The Boy from New York
City"; Peter Paul and Mary, "Blowin' in the Wind,"
 "Leavin' on a Jet Plane"; Rolling Stones, "Ruby Tuesday"; Simon &
Garfunkel, "Bridge Over Troubled Water"; Happenings, "See
 You in September"; Carole King, "I Feel the Earth Move"; Yager and
Evans, "In the Year 2525"; Norman Greenbaum, "Spirit in
 the Sky"; Brooklyn Bridge, "Worst That Could Happen"; Three Degrees,
"When Will I See You Again"; Cat Stevens, "Peace
 Train," "Morning Has Broken"; Jan and Dean, "Dead Man's Curve"; Martha
& the Vandellas, "Nowhere to Run"; Martha and the
 Vandellas/Van Halen, "Dancing in the Streets"; Hollies, "He Ain't
Heavy, He's My Brother"; Sam Cooke/ Herman Hermits,
 "Wonderful World"; Petula Clark, "A Sign of the Times"; Don McLean,
"American Pie"; J. Frank Wilson, "Last Kiss"; Buddy
 Holly and the Crickets, "That'll Be the Day"; Bobby Darin, "Mack the
Knife"; The Clash, "Rock the Casbah"; Surfaris, "Wipeout";
 Blood Sweat & Tears, "And When I Die"; Dave Clark Five, "Bits and
Pieces"; Tramps, "Disco Inferno"; Paper Lace, "The Night
 Chicago Died"; Frank Sinatra, "New York, New York"; Creedence
Clearwater Revival, "Travelin' Band"; The Gap Band, "You
 Dropped a Bomb On Me"; Alien Ant Farm, "Smooth Criminal"; 3 Doors Down,
"Duck and Run"; The Doors, "The End"; Third
 Eye Blind, "Jumper"; Neil Diamond, "America"; Lenny Kravitz, "Fly
Away"; Tom Petty, "Free Fallin' "; Bruce Springsteen, "I'm
 On Fire," "Goin' Down"; Phil Collins, "In the Air Tonight"; Alice in
Chains, "Rooster," "Sea of Sorrow," "Down in a Hole," "Them
 Bone"; Beastie Boys, "Sure Shot," "Sabotage"; The Cult, "Fire Woman";
Everclear, "Santa Monica"; Filter, "Hey Man, Nice
 Shot"; Foo Fighters, "Learn to Fly"; Korn, "Falling Away From Me"; Red
Hot Chili Peppers, "Aeroplane," "Under the Bridge";
 Smashing Pumpkins, "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"; System of a Down,
"Chop Suey"; Skeeter Davis, "End of the World"; Ricky
 Nelson, "Travelin' Man"; Chi-Lites, "Have You Seen Her"; Animals, "We
Gotta Get Out of This Place"; Fontella Bass, "Rescue
 Me"; Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, "Devil with the Blue Dress";
James Taylor, "Fire and Rain"; Edwin Starr/Bruce
 Springstein, "War"; Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Tuesday's Gone"; Limp Bizkit,
"Break Stuff"; Green Day, "Brain Stew"; Temple of the
 Dog, "Say Hello to Heaven"; Sugar Ray, "Fly"; Local H, "Bound for the
Floor"; Slipknot, "Left Behind, Wait and Bleed"; Bush,
 "Speed Kills"; 311, "Down"; Stone Temple Pilots, "Big Bang Baby," "Dead
and Bloated"; Soundgarden, "Fell on Black Days,"
 "Black Hole Sun"; Nina, "99 Luft Balloons/99 Red Balloons"; Drowning
Pool, "Bodies"; Mudvayne, "Death Blooms"; Megadeth,
 "Dread and the Fugitive," "Sweating Bullets"; Saliva, "Click Click
Boom"; P.O.D. "Boom"; Metallica, "Harvester or Sorrow,"
 "Enter Sandman," "Fade to Black"; all songs by Rage Against The
Machine; Nine Inch Nails, "Head Like a Hole"; Godsmack,
 "Bad Religion"; Tool, "Intolerance."

 ©2001 St. Paul Pioneer Press. All Rights Reserved.

--
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".
Gandhi