BOC - remasters

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Sep 20 07:47:47 EDT 2001

On 20 Sep 2001, at 0:28, Jon Jarrett wrote:

> > Indeed they are.  Whether you want to argue that they don't have the
> > same finesse as the Bouchards or not, they are definitely great
> > players.
> >  They give the band a harder sound than what they had in the 1980's
> >  -
> > less subtle in times, but it definitely works well for them live.

Apples and oranges.  Danny can hold his own against any bassist
on the planet, but he doesn't sound anything like Joe.  Bobby is a
GREAT drummer.  Catch him live sometime, and you won't believe
your ears.  The stuff he throws out is amazing, and he is so
effortless in doing it.  A consumate professional.  My only criticism
of Bobby is that his playing is a little slick sometimes.  And I say
this only because I compare him to Al.  Al is a brilliant drummer
too.  I would say that Al and Bobby are equal in their drumming
chops, but Al gets the nod for his unique 'ear' for the instrument. Al
was able to throw in stuff completely off-the-wall and make it work
perfectly.  Bobby's playing is a touch more predictable.  but don't
take this as a knock on BR's playing.  It's great, just different from
what BÖC fans came to expect from Al...

>         I think Danny could whip it up as much as Joe if he had the
>         space
> but I think he has to be part of the sort of rhythm section that Bobby
> can do his best in, which is as you say less subtle. But Danny's solos
> remind you how many other intsruments he plays and you know it could
> be different...

Hmm...Sound like any other BÖC bassist we know?  But you're
dead-on here.  DM plays a bunch of instruments, including some
wind instruments, right?  He's a versatile player and a fine singer
too.  DM is a fine addition to the band...

theo