HW: drums on Electric Tepee

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Sep 20 12:37:42 EDT 2001

>At 3:00 +0400 20.09.2001, Alice wrote:
>>>  I think it's both: cool Richard Chadwick live drumming _and_ good drumcomp
>>>  programming.
>>
>>Yes, I think the same thing. On some tracks there is definitely computer.
>>But rocking ones are live drumming.

>From someone who generally despises robot drumming (esp. in 'rock' music)
and campaigns regularly against it, I have to say that whatever RC used on
tracks like "Garden Pests" really worked well with that sort of music.

My first experience with live drumming MIDI-linked to computer enhancement
was seeing the Moody Blues perform in about 1986-87, and whatever 'early'
technology Graeme Edge was using then was rather pathetic.  It was
constantly distracting (I think the electronic and acoustic sounds might
have had different echoing characteristics or something and so they seemed
out-of-phase in a large concert hall) and never once was viewable as
anything other than a 'crutch'.  In the right hands though, and with better
'algorhythms' (sic), I can see how it might actually provide musicians with
the ability for creativity rather than simplification.  I think RC has done
just that when he's used it.

Grakkl (FAA)