HW; Greasy Truckers 2001 - guitar duties

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Sep 28 16:30:27 EDT 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 21:08:23 +0100, Captain Bl at ck <starfield at SUPANET.COM>
wrote:
>Not strictly true, Doug.  Alan Powell was fired for being too funky (found
>in possession of Herbie Hancock tapes in the dressing room)

The HORROR! ;^)  (melikes the Headhunters stuff, but of course does not
relate well to Hawkwind)

> - nothing to do with Nik.
>In fact he played on Nik's Xitintoday album.

That's right!  Completely forgot about that.

>Powell however was
>in cahoots with Paul Rudolph over the 'funk' issue, at least.

I'm glad that they finally put out those live albums with "Time For Sale"
on them, since up until that point I had NO IDEA where the "funk"
accusation came from (well, a little on "Aubergine that ate Rangoon", I
guess).  I've still never heard Kicks (did they release anything? they were
supposedly awful), and that Deviants EP they're both on is definitely NOT
funky in the least (except maybe for Mick's 'fro).

>As Lemmy once remarked, "Paul Rudolph, ah yes, Hawkwind the funky
>years...".

I don't believe I've ever heard of Lemmy saying anything nice about Paul
Rudolph as a bassist (as opposed to Rudolph's replacement ... not that you
can blame him!).  Having recently heard a 1975 HW live recording, I see his
bass playing in a somewhat better light (and he holds down the bottom end
well on the Watchfield Festival jams), but IMO he was always a FAR superior
guitarist (Deviants/Pink Fairies, 'Captain Lockheed', "Baby's On Fire")
than bassist.

(And actually, the unconfirmed rumors I've heard indicate that it would be
extremely unlikely for Paul Rudolph to leave Vancouver due to health
reasons, which, if true, obviously renders all speculation moot.)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com