HW: Lab coat history

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Apr 1 05:41:52 EST 2002

dave hall writes:

> After the last Hawkwind gig I was in discussion with some others re the =
> demise of the Lab coat at gigs. You know every gig had at least one guy =
> with one, usually with ISOS or the Space Ritual logo on the back (name =
> the guilty!). What are the origins of this - we've nailed it to the =
> Quark sleeve and Dave wearing one one stage. Any pre-1977 sightings?

I thought it started after Dave wore one on stage in 1976. It became
usual to see it at every gig in the early 80's.

Of course in my duties as The Laminator, I felt I had to organise a
minibus full of people all wearing borrowed labcoats from medical
students to do a run from St Andrews to Edinburgh for the Levitation
tour. That can't have hurt the trend...

FoFP