HW: new album ??

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Apr 9 16:04:11 EDT 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:51:29 EDT, Ted Jackson <tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU>
wrote:

>On 9 Apr 2002, at 9:33, Michael W Blackman wrote:
>
>> The other night I dreamed I was hanging around the studio and they
>> were having a ball - Obviously it wasn't all fun n games - and I got
>> to take a close up of the inside of Daves wha wha pedal - and it was a
>> trippy peice of work-
>>
>So...wha's it look like?  True bypass switching or POS stomp
>switch?  Hand wired or circuit board?
>
>I figure an old-school dude like DB to be a Cry Baby guy, but maybe
>he's got something hip like a Budda?

Nope, COLOURSOUND!  As used by many early-70s UK guitarists ("Bananas", by
Man, has one of my alltime favorite Coloursound wah guitar solos).  At
first, he had a wah/fuzz ('Space Ritual' era), and later switched to a
wah/fuzz/phaser (you can hear the phaser really well on the Anthology/Weird
Tapes version of "Quark, Strangeness & Charm", the intro to the PXR5
version of "Uncle Sam's On Mars", and the studio version of "Flying
Doctor"), which is, I believe, currently owned by a listmember.

I have a '73 Coloursound wah/fuzz (in which I did recently have to replace
the scratchy pot), and running through a Marshall or Mesa, it gets as close
to the Brock sound as an inept guitarist (w/a single-coils guitar) such as
myself can get!  PCB & single-throw switch, as you'd expect in something
that old.  It can't be converted to true bypass easily anyway, since the
wah is *always* on, and the switch just turns the fuzz on/off.

In a recent on-list chat (see:
http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0003C&L=BOC-L&P=R8380 ), Dave
mentioned that he currently uses a Boss multieffect BE-5M (Noise supressor,
distortion-overdrive, chorus, delay, compressor, but no wah) for all his
onstage fx needs (not surprising, since he's used Boss/Roland gear
extensively since the early 80s - see the 'Church of Hawkwind' gearlist).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com