OFF: New Motorhead

Nick English nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM
Wed Apr 24 07:20:48 EDT 2002

I'm liking this disc a lot, although not as much as Overnight Sensation or Snakebite Love.  Two weeks after I first heard it, "Walk a Crooked Mile" refuses to leave my head.  One question, though:  Why does Lemmy do all his own backing vocals?  Are Mikkey and Phil not interested, or is it an ego thing?

Surprisingly enough, I think "The Game" is a very strong track, even though it was written as theme music for WWF wrestler Triple H.

Lyrically, Lemmy is still near top of his game, although some passages are slightly more cheesy than usual.  It's refreshing, though, that he remains one of the few over-50 rockers who's still as pissed off as the young kids.  Lemmy wastes little time reflecting on his life as a jet-setting rock star, opting instead to rail against all the crappiness in the world.  To the uninitiated, it might seem as though Lemmy was trying to tap into the "angry young metal" genre. . . but all those bands today, I think, owe HIM a debt of gratitude.

BTW. . . I recently read that Ozzy sold all his Nazi artifacts to Lemmy.  In the article, Lemmy said he wouldn't make a very good Nazi because his girlfriend is black.  Who is this girlfriend?  Is she the chick from that "Skunk whatever-it-is" band?

--Nick