TOTALLY OFF: Who [does Bono think he is]

Thu Apr 25 10:00:14 EDT 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, K Henderson wrote:

> >On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 08:12:38AM -0500, Brian Halligan wrote:
>
> >BTW, I didn't realise the Oscars were mandatory viewing.  Is this some
> >case of "we control the horizontal; we control the vertical" going on
> >here that I don't know about?
>
> Yes.  I guess you didn't watch 60 Minutes this past Sunday, where Story 1
> was about John Nash and the Beautiful Mind movie (nominated for 2 zillion
> Oscars) and Story 3 was about Dame Judi Dench, nominated as best actress for
> a movie that nobody has apparently seen, 'cause it really hasn't even been
> widely-released yet.  It's ridiculous - you *can't* avoid it, without
> hibernating in an underground bunker with the shadow gov't (not the shadow
> gov't mule, which would only occur in times of Democratic leadership).  And
> what's even more peculiar is that CBS (60 Minutes' network of course) isn't
> even showing the Oscars, so why are they promoting it?  Probably just for
> the ratings boost for their own show....but then of course, with the way
> corporations are ever-increasingly tied together, it wouldn't surprise me if
> CBS and the studios that made these two movies both were under one
> even-larger multi-media enterprise and so the whole network of CBS is used
> as a marketing tool.  I forget who owns who these days....another day,
> another merger.

        You could try, um, not watching television if you don't like the
way the media feeds off itself and celebrity status. Follow the wise words
of Harvey Bainbridge and "just pick up the heavy ashtray..."

> Sorry for speaking so blatantly off-topic, but nobody seems to have anything
> at the moment to say about BOC/HW.

        Hey, when someone does it drops like a dead duck at the moment
anyway. There'll be a flurry of BOC chatter when they hit Europe, and some
HW chatter when the Passport Holders' Festival actually gets off the
ground or if the band chat reveals anything about the album-in-progress I
assume, till then we can only try and stay afloat in the sea of OFFness.

> I did notice that Secret Treaties was No. 47 on the list of Rolling Stones'
> Top 50 Coolest Albums of All-time (whatever the hell that's supposed to
> represent). I'm decidedly uncool, 'cause I only own 3 of these 50, and
> that's out of about 3000 CDs that I have.  ST was one of them of course, the
> others being The Beatles' Revolver (of which I only like one song) and Roxy
> Music's For Your Pleasure.  V.U. showed up at No. 1 amazingly enough, but it
> just happened to be an album (WL,WH) I don't have (although I have a
> compilation with tracks from it).

        I just ignore these things. The writers have to consider their
readership, so even if they were complete psych-heads they must know that
if they submit anything with more than forty per cent of the stuff in
*our* collections the editors will just bin it because only three people
in the readership will care. For gods' sake stop worrying about whether
you're with it, Keith, the masses have lousy taste and trying to match it
will cause premature hair loss and worry lines :-) Yours,
                                                          Jon

ObCDR: Anubian Lights - _Live with Nik Turner_
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)