OFF: Guitar question

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Apr 30 15:22:26 EDT 2002

On 30 Apr 2002, at 15:04, Brian Halligan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to find an inexpensive guitar that has a similar sound to
> a Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Used re-issues of the Jaguar I've seen
> have been out of my price range. I realize you get what you pay for,
> but if any of you gearheads out there have a suggestion, I'd love to
> hear it.

First off, why do you want one?  They are virtually untunable and a
nightmare to set up.  The vibrato taipiece is the culprit. I will freely
admit it's the coolest body shape out there, and for that reason I
own 2 alternative [sic] guitars, both of them Fender Jagmasters.
With this design, you get the very-cool Jag body, but with
humbucking pickups and a bridge that will stay in tune.  The new
Jagmasters are very reasonable, and, if you look at the House of
Guitars, you'll find they have a couple of NOS Jagmasters of the
older variety, that you could get for a couple hundred bucks. These
are the highly-esteemed Japanese-made Jagmasters.  I have both a
Japaneses and a Korean one, and the former is a beauty.

When you mentioned the reissues, I assume you mean the Fender
USA models?  They are indeed a little steep for most guys.  But if
you MUST have a Jazzmaster or Jag, try to locate one of the
Japanese reissues that were made about 10 years ago or so.  They
are beautiful guitars, probably better made than the US Fenders of
the same time.  They should be available for around 300 bucks used.
In fact I know a guy who has one, and if you like, I'll ask him if it's
for sale.

theo