OFF: superskull 666 comments.. Time to remove him !!!!!

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Aug 1 16:44:34 EDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Doug Pearson wrote:

:Subject: Re: OFF: superskull 666 comments.. Time to remove him !!!!!
:

[snip]

:As I see it, people are whining for two primary reasons:
:1) the "Hawkwind ripoff" troll.  Since plenty of people have complained
:about Voiceprint, OzIT, Nik, Dave Anderson, and others "ripping off" the
:fans, that obviously isn't sufficient grounds for banning someone (however,
:I *do* wish Christian would explain himself since I have no idea what he's
:talking about, although I know many people [NOT ME!] have been unhappy
:with, say, 'Glastonbury 90').

I think it's your latter point that is the issue here.  Christian posted
an attack without any reference....which does come off as fairly
offensive.

:2) referring to Adam Strider as a "jew".  Can someone explain the
:difference between that, and me referring to Christian as a "norwegian".
:Both are undeniably true statements.  (Having said that, I'll have to point
:out that Adam is one of the nicest folk I've ever met, and his 'zine was/is
:one of the best I've ever read, with excellent coverage of neo-psych,
:experimental, and even bits of free jazz and indierock, along with the
:usual spacerock ... I have no idea what Christian's problem with him - or
:vice versa - is.)

Mostly, Christian referred to Adam as "that jew kid", which is walking
the line of antisemitic (in tone.  imho, "jew kid" is antisemitic slang)

Your comparison isn't really dead on, as "norwegian" is a nationality,
while "jew" is a religious affiliation (or possibly connoting a share
ethnicity of a certain type.)

Also, "norwegian" isn't really a nasty epithet, but "jew" (rather than
"jewish") can be.

In addition, in Christian's OFF: Rotten to the Core post
(http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0207e&L=boc-l&F=&S=&P=5766)
had this line:

"Whatever connection the now defunct Daredevils
have to the Catholic Church of England or even judaism
as far as tactics of blackmail goes are doubtful in
honest intentions to say the least."

So, at least this one was also denigrating the Catholic Church of England
as well.  (lol).

Admittedly, I am hypersensitive to such (being of Jewish extraction
myself), but I can certainly see where Christian's posts can be construed
as offensive.  (Indeed, *I* parsed them as such, but just resigned them to
/dev/null.)

:Certainly some of the replies to Christian's messages have been far more
:offensive and insulting than his original ones, but I'm not calling for a
:ban of any of *those* people.  After all, *he* hasn't referred to anyone
:as "excrement" or "imbecilic".

Banning or not banning anyone would be odd on this list, as we don't have
any "official" rules on here, do we?

I think politeness and courtesy should be de rigeur, and possibly some of
the followups were a bit extreme, but provocation was there.  So why not
let sleeping trolls lie, and move on ;-)

Anyway.  I wasn't going to follow this up, but I felt a need to be
defensive.

My 2 cents, and I think I will follow Ian's advice from earlier
in the thread, and hopefully this thread will just die now ;-)

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559