OFF: Brit Slang!

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Aug 6 13:43:46 EDT 2002

On 6 Aug 2002, at 18:26, Iain Ferguson wrote:

> End away is getting laid :-)
>
> Bootle is a place in Liverpool ( someone from Liverpool can explain
> its beautiful features ).

Okay, how 'bout two other bits of Brit slang?
'Had the Richard,' and 'Bob's your Uncle?'

Does something that has had the Richard mean that it's
now defunct?  [This may actually be Oz slang--my apologies to
anyone taking offense]  Anyone know the origin?

I've heard a couple diffeerent definitions of Bob's your Uncle, some
as a positive, some negative.  Anyone know the origin?

thanks,
theo