OFF: Brit Slang!

Kirsten Procter kprocter at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Wed Aug 7 16:13:16 EDT 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Chuck Rosenberg wrote:

> In a message dated 8/6/02 10:31:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> kprocter at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK writes:
>
> > > You see, all I do is sit around my apt all day, get drunk, and watch Red
> >  > Dwarf episodes over and over...I'm trying to figure out every line of
> all
> > the
> >  > dialogue...not easy for a Yank... I even did a google search just to
> find
> > out
> >  > what the hell "Bootle" was....
> >   There;s only one thing to say;
> >
> >   Awww, *sweetheart*
> >

> is this a reference to a potentially pathetic existence or does it mean you'd
 No, it;s just you being cutely American. Sorry.

> like to trade in Jon for me?? :) must be the former...but ya never know. Chuck

 I'm not sure that Jon knows where Bootle is either (well, he does
now).

 Although Gerald Durrell mentioned in his book 'My Family and Other
Animals' that he had a boat called 'the Bootle-Bumtrinket'. 'My Family
and Other Animals' was an O-level set text, so most Brits have read it.

--
Kirsten Procter                                                         ghoti
"Why is the alligator so ornery?