OFF: Brit Slang!

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Aug 7 20:56:06 EDT 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 01:17:42 +0100, Richard Lockwood
<rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK> wrote:
>Ah.  Err, no it isn't...  :-)
>
>However, you're kind of right.  A bit like Ronnie Barker in Porrage
>popularised the word "berk".  As in the rhyming slang "Berkshire Hunt"...
>
>:-)

I've certainly encountered the full term, "smegma", in the USA (it's also
the name of a cool, long-lived, avant-garde/noise/rock band from the
Portland, Oregon area).  To be slightly-more on-topic (but probably in
worse taste, and we're already on pretty shaky ground here), could the name
of Hawkwind's toaster be used as rhyming slang for a similar, uh,
something, from the other half of the population?  I still haven't gotten a
full handle on this rhyming slang thing (does that make me a cutesy
American ;^)? ... or just an ugly one?), but I *do* get a kick out of being
able to yell whilst onstage, "... rather tight ... about as tight as a
kangaroo's KHYBER!" (And yeah, that one's on the setlist tonight.)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com