HW: "Spirit of the Age" help needed.

Thu Aug 8 15:58:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 06:10:26PM -0500, Rich Warren typed out:
> Wasn't this reissued by virgin on CD with bonus tracks as Tales From the
> Atomhenge: The Robert Calvert Years? Think it was. Prolly one of the best
> Hawkwind compilations around :-)  You might hav a better chance of picking
> this one up.  I sold my copy recently.

<snip>

> > Richard Lockwood wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Hi guys,
> >  >
> >  > Wonder if you can help a friend of mine on another list.  He's after
> "Spirit
> >  > Of The Age" as detailed below - and I was wondering if anyone had a
> copy
> >  > spare for sale or trade.  He can't find the bugger anywhere.  If anyone
> can
> >  > help, please drop me a line and I'll pass your details onto him.
> >  >
> >  > Many thanks,

        <snip>

> >  > > Right. What I'm after is "Spirit of the Age". This is complicated
> beacuse
> >  > > there appear to be two Hawkwind albums called "Spirit of tha Age"
> (Three
> >  > if
> >  > > you include "Spirit of the Age - The Solstice Remix"). One released
> by
> >  > > Virgin in September 1988 and one released by Elite records in October
> >  > 1991.
> >  > > (Neither are listed at HMV) I'm after the Virgin release with the
> track
> >  > > listing as ....
> >  > >
> >  > > The Forge of Vulcan (Introduction Out-take)
> >  > > Flying Doctor
> >  > > Steppenwolf
> >  > > Hassan I Sabha
> >  > > Twenty Five Years
> >  > > Jack of Shadows
> >  > > PSI Power
> >  > > Reefer Madness
> >  > > Fable of a Failed Race
> >  > > Highrise
> >  > > Quark Strangeness and Charm
> >  > > Back on the Streets
> >  > > Kerb Crawler
> >  > > Only the Dreams of the Cold War Kid
> >  > > Spirit of the Age

        This is in fact not quite the same as _Tales from Atomhenge_ which
I grant you is a good compilation. It's principally notable for having the
ASAM B-sides `Honky Dorky' and `Dream of Isis' on it. This seems to
squeeze in `Jack of Shadows' instead. I've got the *other* SotA comp. So
there are a number of alternatives but a Kollector might want the
original. If "Roger" is not a Kollector, I think Rich's advice is sound,
go for _Tales_, better track selection and still seen sometimes, albeit
on Ebay mostly... Yours,
                         Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk