OFF: superskull 666 comments.. Time to remove him !!!!!

Thu Aug 8 15:41:04 EDT 2002

        Gah. Typed a long reply to this and then Pine choked on it and
lost the lot. Using Mutt this time, I note that on Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at
04:08:30PM -0400, Doug Pearson typed out:
> Ian's comments below are the most intelligent in this thread so far
> (although a couple other messages have been almost as amusing as
> Christian's originals) ... if you don't like what's being said, don't read
> his messages!  There are certainly already people on this list that *I* do
> that for.

        It's got better again before it's got worse, and the people I
would once have complained about are no longer the ones I would now. But
there never used to be people I would ignore utterly as there are now.

> And in the absence of Jon Jarrett and Keith Henderson, Christian is
> certainly posting the most *interesting* messages on the list at the moment
> (whether or not you "agree" with them).

        Flattery will get you nowhere, except apparently in as much as
it'll bring me out of the woodwork to bear on this one myself. I'm still
here, I'm just very very backlogged with my replies. Leaping out of the
queue for a minute or two then...

> As I see it, people are whining for two primary reasons:
> 1) the "Hawkwind ripoff" troll.  Since plenty of people have complained
> about Voiceprint, OzIT, Nik, Dave Anderson, and others "ripping off" the
> fans, that obviously isn't sufficient grounds for banning someone (however,
> I *do* wish Christian would explain himself since I have no idea what he's
> talking about, although I know many people [NOT ME!] have been unhappy
> with, say, 'Glastonbury 90').

        I would like to know, too, but I've not seen Christian reply to
anything other than a flame so far though he did pick up one comment I
made in alt.music.spacerock I think. He and I used to be occasional
correspondents so perhaps it was for old times' sake or something. Now
anyway.

> 2) referring to Adam Strider as a "jew".  Can someone explain the
> difference between that, and me referring to Christian as a "norwegian".
> Both are undeniably true statements.  (Having said that, I'll have to point
> out that Adam is one of the nicest folk I've ever met, and his 'zine was/is
> one of the best I've ever read, with excellent coverage of neo-psych,
> experimental, and even bits of free jazz and indierock, along with the
> usual spacerock ... I have no idea what Christian's problem with him - or
> vice versa - is.)

        I think Arin put the answer to that rather better than I can. It
does seem to be rather a feature of the ways in which Christian's current
incarnation aims to get attention.

> Certainly some of the replies to Christian's messages have been far more
> offensive and insulting than his original ones, but I'm not calling for a
> ban of any of *those* people.  After all, *he* hasn't referred to anyone
> as "excrement" or "imbecilic".

        This list is, by and large, even now, one of the most civilised
fora I've encountered on the 'net, and I'm not telling you where the
others are :-) A few people with poor vocabularies notwithstanding.

        The whole question of Christian's reappearance brings out the
historian in me. He used to be such a *nice* boy, style of thing. If you
compare these two messages with the current day ones you see why some of
us with long memories might have been pleased to see the man back:

And on Mon Feb 10 1997 at 15:36:30 he wrote:

>Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 12:25:55 +0100
>From: Christian Mumford <christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO>
>To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
>Subject: Re: More Xenon Codex Talk
>
>>In message <01IBCBREXWS295MUYA at delphi.com>, HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM writes
>>>Hmmm...but what's so funny about "Mommy, daddy said to me 'Get a job'"
>>>repeating over and over again? Silly but not that funny. :) I think BOC
>>>win the humour sweepstakes...
>>
>>OK it's not bust-a-gut comedy. The "get a job, get a job, get a job" is
>>pretty apt, I thought at the time. The humour is in the samples like the
>>snip from "If I Were A Rich Man" followed by sheep bleating, for
>>instance. Then there's all those Looney Tunes bits at the end. OK it's
>>not like a joke you can share down the pub but it's not exactly serious
>>either. And of course, it rocks, there's always that!
>><veering off>
>
>Hey, back in college I made this special trip-tape, and I recorded the
>bouncy cartoon noises (y'know, the spoink-sploing-boing etc...) at the
>end of that song over and over and over (at least 10-15 times), that,
>sandwiched between snippets of Floyd's 'Interstellar Overdrive' played
>backwards ('Overstellar Interdrive'...) and 'rapping' the coughing intro
>on Black Sabbath's 'Sweet Leaf' back and forth for about 5 minutes at
>varying speeds made for some pretty bizarre sonic backdrops - We scared
>all the straight people away from parties with that tape....
>
>As for Space Bandits, I think it's one of Hawkwind's weakest albums, but
>better than Church of Hawkwind and IITBOTFTBD (the latter which is the
>all time _worst_).
>
>The lyrics to 'Wings' are particularly cringingly bad, absolutely a
>terrible song (whether it's for a good cause or not...).
>
> Xenon is up there in my top 7 1/2 or something.

>"I am not as much a vegetable as everything is vegetable soup"
>
>Christian Mumford

        As you can see he brightened the odd day here and there. He was
still around when I first fell off the list but was around as late as
April 1998. At some point while I wasn't paying attention he dropped off
the net, and then we got a brief sign of return with this.

On Mon Aug  2 1999 at 10:25:02 PDT eggfoolejung at hotmail.com wrote:
>Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:25:02 PDT
>From: Suicide Victory <eggfoolejung at HOTMAIL.COM>
>To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
>Subject: HW: Spacerock radio
>
>Hello all,
>
>After months offlist I seem to have temporarily overcome several fits of
>spontaneous mutations (Slaine lingo: warp spasms) enough to get it all
>together and resub in the wake of a mini spacerock radio show.....------>
>

>Spacerock playlist, Radio Nova FM 99.3, Oslo,  01/08/99
>1 hr. show interspersed with parts of Steve Hackett's "Dark Town" +
>interview
>
>Orange Goblin / Star Shaped Cloud - "Frequencies From Planet Ten", 1997
>Alan Davey / Ancient Light - "Captured Rotation", 1996
>Alan Davey / Never Come Down - "Captured Rotation"
>Anubian Lights / The Fire Breathes - "Let Not The Flame Die Out", 1998
>Orange Goblin / The Astral Project - "Frequencies From Planet Ten"
>Orange Goblin / Magic Carpet - "Frequencies From Planet Ten"
>
>Not much new as my musical budget has been less than usual, but a massive
>6 hour Hawkwind special will be broadcast later this month....
>
>Christian

        At about the same time he reappeared on alt.music.psychedelic,
mostly in cross-posts from alt.magic and other fora, in short, he was
making a nuisance of himself. This e-mail address bit the dust soon
afterwards. I'm trying to remember if it was at this point or later he
started talking about the Church of Satan a lot. No big deal, some of my
best friends are Satanists (well, one of them) but it was a change.

        Then on May 17th this year he popped up here again with a small
clutch of reviews and the first reference to the Charlie Yuga site.[1]
They went to several newsgroups as well and there it was as Charlie Yuga,
here they arrived under his old name, presumably because we at least would
know it. And then not long after that we start up with the Steve Hillage
in Nazi regalia stuff, which I didn't bother to save. Most of it is also
going to alt.music.psychedelic, alt.music.spacerock and at least one of
the Motorhead newsgroups too. I've had a reply to a comment I made in the
latter of those groups, but nothing else seems to have got one.

        It's my conclusion then that whatever his personal ethics may or
may not be these days, he's indubitably trolling, trailing a number of
coats so as to make it more effective, and given that the list doesn't
actually *need* shaking up at the moment, and that he seems to be being
disruptive (and halfway hoping to sell his artwork and magazines) in a
large area of the Internet just now, where he will if that is his aim
surely attract the supremacist morons he's hoping to sell stuff to, we
don't need to know whether or not he believes what he's peddling to say,
enough, trolling to no purpose, Ben Cohen where are you? But I imagine
people are already asking him this by themselves so I'll just say, what on
earth happened to this once-friendly acidhead? Yours,
                                                      Jon

[1] That doesn't inspire me to friendliness either.

ObCD: Led Zeppelin - _II_ for the Pine draft, Monster Magnet's _Spine of
God_ for this one.
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk