OFF: Brit Slang!

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Aug 8 16:53:40 EDT 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:10:05 -0700, John H. McCartney <scorch at TE-CATS.COM>
wrote:
>My suspicion is that the term "fag" in reference to cigarettes comes
>from the word "faggot", which originally was in reference to a stick,
>as in "a bundle of faggots". That usage dates back to the middle ages.
>I figure that cigs are somewhat sticklike.....

Entirely correct.  Specifically, it refers to a sticks bundled together for
the purpose of burning (which, of course, is what you do to a cigarette) in
a stove or fireplace.

>As to how faggot got it's present connotation I've no idea.

It's because of what was done to those people in particularly brutal,
closed-minded societies.  Not a pleasant thought at all.  A similar idea to
the song, "Strange Fruit", perhaps ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com