HW/OFF: Arthur Brown and Voiceprint

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Aug 8 17:08:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:12:12 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>        Subject of Voiceprint happened to come up because he's trying to
>get his back catalogue out and I said how I'd not thought Voiceprint had
>really done that great a job with the Kingdom Come discs ...
>He said, by way of reply, something very much like this: "Well,
>it's an odd choice an artist faces these days... I mean you can sign up
>with someone like Sanctuary who are very highly regarded, and get 40p a
>CD; or you can sign with Voiceprint and get £1.20 a CD." I was quite
>surprised by this, as I'd understood from I know no longer where that
>their royalties were meagre, but apparently not. So there you have it,
>there is *something* to be said for them after all...

I'm no expert on the music business, but £1.20 a CD in royalties is HUGE!
Like, unprecedentally huge!  Gigantic!  Most major label bands would see
much, much closer to the 40p value (and they won't even see that until the
label has recouped their advance, which probably doesn't happen until
they've sold about 100,000 copies, a figure that most major label bands
never reach).  It's obvious that Voiceprint cut corners in some places,
which must be what allows them to do this.  But man, I am impressed.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com