BOC-L Digest - 11 Aug 2002 to 12 Aug 2002 (#2002-231)

John Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Mon Aug 12 08:30:59 EDT 2002

> Subject: Re: OFF: How old is BOC-L?/Paging Steve Swann
> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:31:11 -0700
> From: Bill Bradley <senator at PFENNIG.UGCS.CALTECH.EDU>
>
> > Just out of interest, how old is boc-l?
> >
> > I've been on boc-l on and off for years now, and there are many people =
> > still around, who were around in those ancient times (Mike and Jill ;-)
> >
> > But actually how old is the list?
> >
> > Rich W
>
>         That depends on how you define it.  IIRC it was originally "imaginative
> rock" before narrowing down to HW/BOC around '90 when I joined.  Steve Swann is
> the one who started it, but I haven't seen him around for a while.  He could
> give the definative answer if he's lurking...

In my archives, I found an old file of old BOC-L posts (that may still
be on the BOC-l FTP server).  The heading included the following quote
by Steve Swann:

"The Blue Oyster Cult Discussion List was formed on September 22, 1990,
when I posted a message to alt.rock-n-roll and alt.rock-n-roll.metal,
asking if anyone would be interested in joining a private discussion
list devoted to the imaginitive rock music of Blue Oyster Cult.  I
started getting responses within the hour."

So there ya go...

John