FAO Hawkwind Band: NikWar Spam

Ian Stirzaker stirzi at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 12 09:25:19 EDT 2002

Having lurked on the list some time I feel moved to add my comments on the
current situation.

I saw Nik and his boys at Glasto this year. Now there is no getting away
from the fact I enjoyed the gig enormously. I admit my brain was slightly
muddled at the time – hey it was Glastonbury! – but I remember being
surprised at how tight the band sounded.

But lets face it Xhawkwind/Spaceritual just came on and jammed for 2 and a
half hours, not that there is anything wrong with that - and this being the
first time I’d seen them, It was a great trip. A perfect way to start a
festival or a great one off night out, but there is nothing new to what they
do, no innovation or creativity. As a one off Nik’s band are fantastic, but
I suspect they are going to keep on re-hashing the same show – how long they
can get away with that is anyone’s guess and whether I would find a
Xhawkwind/Spaceritual gig as enjoyable on the 5th or 6th hearing is
doubtful.
I remember Nik being somewhat emotional at the gig (not surprising since
he’d just been presented with an injunction) and he did keep going on about
how Dave was suing them and wouldn’t let them play any Brock numbers etc.
etc. One thing I remember clearly though was Nik telling the crowd to write
to the music press in support of him and - perhaps tellingly after the
recent anonymous emails people have received - to email and post on Hawkwind
message boards on the subject.

It seems to me that the dispute has been running for many years, was greatly
fuelled by the Hawkestra tapes debacle and has come to a head with Nik’s
recent escapades.
I don’t think Nik has any right to use the Hawkwind name but then I don’t
agree with Dave using the courts to settle matters either!
I find the whole saga too depressing to further comment on, from what I can
see both parties have legitimate grounds to be pissed off with each other.
Come on guys sort it out. With legal action taking place I can only see
EVERYBODY being a loser – Dave, Nik ,the too many to mention ex Hawks and
the fans are all part of the same thing, the spirit we are all Hawkwind – I
thought that was the WHOLE POINT of it all, don’t tell me I have been
labouring with such a misunderstanding all these years.
The only good thing I can see at the moment is that Moorcock has said he
will never work with Brock again - Hurray! ;o) - but maybe (trying
desperately to be positive) this bust up has been going to happen for a long
time now, so perhaps the boys can finally thrash something out and get back
to what they do best.
And Finally…..
I know Chris Hewitt and OZ-It are not exactly flavour of the month in these
parts but I have to add a final (musical) note. Tractor/The Way We Live who
played just before Nik’s boys at Glasto really were GREAT. Jim Milne and
Steve Clayton put on a storming set, good work guys and good to see after
all these years :o).

Ian