Off: Absinthe

Tue Aug 13 16:11:10 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 07:54:33PM -0400, Doug Pearson typed out:
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:04:00 +0100, Richard Lockwood
> <rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK> wrote:
> >HAHAHAHAAAAAARRRRGGGHH!!!!!!!!
> >
> >Sorry.
> >
> >The best beers in England (and indeed the world) are to be found at
> >http://www.timothy-taylor.co.uk
>
> You're right about the "HAHAHAHAAAAARGRRGRGHHH" part, since only one of
> their varieties is available in bottles, so those of us in the rest of the
> world are screwed.  How does it compare with Samuel Smith's (my personal
> faves from the Brit isles, esp. their Oatmeal Stout [and the best Oatmeal
> Stout from the states in Anderson Valley, bar none!])?

        Not dissimilar to Sam Smith's bitter actually. Landlord is a
little more actually bitter, also smoother and kind of attacks the back of
the throat, not hostile but you know what you're drinking. Both of them
taste more narrow than broad, if that means anything to anyone but me, and
Landlord has slightly more of the tone and aroma of polished teak about
it, whereas Sam Smith's smells more like a beer is supposed to. Neither of
them my favourites but not too dissimilar.

        I have to say, if that were the choice, which given Sam Smith's
tends only to turn up in their pubs it's not likely to be, I would pick
the Landlord. And not realise how drunk I was getting until rather too
late. Yours,
             Jon

ObCD: Gas Giant - _Pleasant Journey in Heavy Tunes_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk