Off: Absinthe

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Aug 13 20:58:54 EDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:05:42 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>        The best beers in England are in fact to be found at
><http:/www.youngs.co.uk> and let no-one tell you otherwise. If they do,
>present them with a decent pint of Young's Ram Rod and if they persist in
>their fallacy, depart on polite terms and remember forthwith that they are
>stark staring deranged. Those in America may be able to obtain Old Nick
>instead, which is also good but being 7.5% not exactly a session beer.

I will heartily endorse both of those selections!  Both are obtainable in
the USA at specialty stores and the like.  Actually, the pub across the
street from where I went to college in Baltimore had Ram Rod and Double
Diamond on tap, as well as Anchor Steam to represent yankee microbrews.
That was my introduction to "good" beer, which has had a rather strong
affect on me since then, I fear.

>        I'm not going to suggest that Ram Rod is the best beer in other
>parts of the island for fear of being struck down by a mob of 80/
>drinkers, but if it weren't for them I might. I have strong opinions on
>this subject :-)

Beer and Hawkwind are definitely two things worth having strong opinions
on :^).

>ObCD: Black Label Society - _Sonic Brew_ (by an amazing coincidence... )

Surely you can't get Black Label (one of the strongest cheap-beers-in-a-can
besides OE800/King Cobra/etc. Malt Liquor) in the UK?!?

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com