OFF: Brit Slang!

Fri Aug 16 16:51:47 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 08:56:06PM -0400, Doug Pearson typed out:

> I've certainly encountered the full term, "smegma", in the USA (it's also
> the name of a cool, long-lived, avant-garde/noise/rock band from the
> Portland, Oregon area).  To be slightly-more on-topic (but probably in
> worse taste, and we're already on pretty shaky ground here), could the name
> of Hawkwind's toaster be used as rhyming slang for a similar, uh,
> something, from the other half of the population?  I still haven't gotten a
> full handle on this rhyming slang thing (does that make me a cutesy
> American ;^)? ... or just an ugly one?), but I *do* get a kick out of being
> able to yell whilst onstage, "... rather tight ... about as tight as a
> kangaroo's KHYBER!" (And yeah, that one's on the setlist tonight.)

        Eh? Hawkwind's toaster? Now you've lost me. Red Dwarf's toaster I
remember. Hawkwind have not vouchsafed any details of their kitchen
equipment that I remember. (Swords!)

        I understand rhyming slang mind ('cause we all talk like Cockneys
and own castles over here as you know :-) ) but I have no idea what you're
on about otherwise. Am I missing something really obvious? Yours,
                                                                  Jon
ObCD: Deep Purple - _Machine Head_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk