HW: Destruction Generator (was: Brock's... )

Sat Aug 17 13:11:21 EDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:16:14PM +0100, M Holmes typed out:
> Bryan Young writes:
>
> > Why hasn't one person asked why Thomas Crimble is in this? Is he such
> > a magnificent bass player that he had to be included? Is he absolutely
> > synonomous with Nik Turner, having worked alongside him in Hawkwind,
> > Inner City Unit, Nik's All-Stars, etc? Or is he just a so-so musician
> > who Nik can live with ONLY BECAUSE HE LENDS CREDIBILITY to the
> > xHawkwind claim?
>
> > Terry Ollis is very excellent musically.  I remember reading in Kris
> > Tait's book how he fell off his drum kit and couldn't keep a steady
> > rhythm, so they added another drummer (Simon King I believe), and had
> > two drummers for awhile.  So, yeah, Nik should definitely have Terry
> > Ollis in the band, as he's obviously the finest drummer Hawkwind has
> > ever had, and that will continue the fine tradition of musical
> > excellence.  (Sarcasm mode now ends.)
>
> Could we just avoid this kind of slagging off of Thom and Terry? They
> seem to be reasonable guys and were the high spot of what I've seen of
> Nik's band.  As far as I can tell they've offered no attacks themselves
> and therefore aren't fair game for this kind of criticism.

        Indeed. Terry is in fact an excellent drummer. I'd probably rather
have him in Hawkwind than Richard if you asked me but that's more a matter
of style than ability. I'd rather have Simon King than either. But
anyway. Terry plays a mean drumkit and has got over the slight balance
problems he had in 1971. There've been a good few chances to see him
proving this just lately too if you'd wanted to take them.

        I'm not going to say anything special about Thomas Crimble as
bass-player, but he's not the worst bass-player Hawkwind's ever had. Two
names particularly spring to mind there but for once tact will overcome me
and I won't say who they are.

> > And if you look hard enough, you might even find Philthy somewhere.
> > Check the gutters, because Lemmy hinted that Philthy has restarted his
> > old career.  This probably means he's peddling dope, but I'd bet he's
> > using more than he's selling, so he may even be dead now, with major
> > debts owing to his suppliers.
>
> It's so refreshing to see someone who isn't afraid of laywers.  Why,
> you'd think the slander laws had been repealed!

        To be fair, not sure why but let's try it, I've seen Lemmy say in
several interviews that Phil Taylor's a crack dealer now, and that the
reason he can't play at reunion gigs is because if he leaves the USA they
won't let him back in again now. So if Philthy was too bothered about
people saying this I imagine Lemmy would have found out by now.

        Of course this doesn't in any way indicate that Mr Taylor has
anything other than perfect respectability in the financial sphere and any
suggestion that he's a bad debtor should of course be sued to the high
heavens by his lawyers. Yours,
                                Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk