Off: Absinthe

Mon Aug 19 14:24:23 EDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Doug Pearson wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:05:42 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
> <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
> >        The best beers in England are in fact to be found at
> ><http:/www.youngs.co.uk> and let no-one tell you otherwise. If they do,
> >present them with a decent pint of Young's Ram Rod and if they persist in
> >their fallacy, depart on polite terms and remember forthwith that they are
> >stark staring deranged. Those in America may be able to obtain Old Nick
> >instead, which is also good but being 7.5% not exactly a session beer.
>
> I will heartily endorse both of those selections!  Both are obtainable in
> the USA at specialty stores and the like.  Actually, the pub across the
> street from where I went to college in Baltimore had Ram Rod and Double
> Diamond on tap, as well as Anchor Steam to represent yankee microbrews.
> That was my introduction to "good" beer, which has had a rather strong
> affect on me since then, I fear.

        Good man, you have chosen wisely :-)

> >ObCD: Black Label Society - _Sonic Brew_ (by an amazing coincidence... )
>
> Surely you can't get Black Label (one of the strongest cheap-beers-in-a-can
> besides OE800/King Cobra/etc. Malt Liquor) in the UK?!?

        No, I did mean ObCD... Zakk Wylde (he of Ozzy band fame) has an
outfit called The Black Label Society who are among the three or four
heaviest things on the planet in a collection of groups which I suppose
must also include Electric Wizard, Warhorse and Burning Witch. Subject ti
others' opinions of course. All of them except Burning Witch are rather
good IMO. But it happens that there's a strong beer theme in much of
Mr Wylde's work and that album is the obvious example... Yours,
                                                                Jon

ObCD: Hawkwind - _Space Ritual_ (hopefully not contentious :-) )
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)