HW: mission control

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Aug 27 10:54:17 EDT 2002

Hi folks,

Just to type in my 2 cents on this.

Rik is the official webmaster for the band.  I think Alisa was right
in asking to not rehash that battle.

In general, rather than yelling at him over his site design, it's more
useful to drop him email asking for changes (and explaining why.)

He's a really reasonable guy, and has been more than willing to listen to
me ask for more text-friendly stuff.

I'm a lynx user (lynx is a text browser), and like many of you I've
had problems with the design.

Rik is a very graphics-oriented person, and he's got lovely pages
if you happen to share that mindset.

However, it can be a pain for those of us who aren't.

Not a problem, though.

I've been giving him feedback, and he's promised that
the next version of MC will be more text-browser friendly.

Even now, he's sending out direct URLs to information, rather than forcing
you into the javascript navigation (like he did originally.)  The hawkfest
info in his recent message is an example.  Alt tag usage, and a more
direct path through the subsite.  It's quite nice, really.

Give nice, polite feedback.  It helps.

Arin
(...and if anyone wants my cheat page navigating the current MC from a
text browser, just drop me private email.)
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559