Fw: Group X

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Tue Aug 27 13:50:42 EDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 01:20:18AM +0100, Richard Lockwood wrote:
> Something Andy Gilham sent me...
> > Our Liberty lost but an addition of a simple X did nothing to
> > cease the momentum and the newly re-christened Liberty X
> > headed back into the charts and they did it in style...... "
> >
> > So it would seem that the "addition of a simple X" to a band
> > name really is sufficient to clearly distinguish it. ;)

On the other hand -- and rather closer to home -- is "X[?] in
Search of Space".  I'd had it for years, and thought of it all
that time as "In Search...", before discussion here convinced me
to look at the cover more closely.  Truth to tell, I'd never even
*noticed* the "X" before then.

I'm not alone, either.  I just did a Google search on "in search
of space".  Here's what I got on the first three pages of
results:
  X In Search   4
  In Search     15
  Irrelevent    6       (not references to the album)
  Duplicates    5       (multiple pages of the same site; I
                        only counted each site once)

Geez, even UA/Liberty (yet another "Liberty", :-) couldn't make
up their minds.  The early disc labels all say "In Search"!
        http://www.adawson.clara.net/albums/labels/uag29202.html

So whether or not some judge thinks an "X" is enough to prevent
confusion, empirically it isn't!

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Anyone who swims with the current will reach the big music steamship;
whoever swims against the current will perhaps reach the source.
        - Paul Schneider-Esleben