HW: Mission Control Website

nycademon at ATTBI.COM nycademon at ATTBI.COM
Thu Aug 29 12:31:59 EDT 2002

> Guido, why not try some constructive criticism for a change instead of this
> digital cock waving/ pissing contest?

Good question. I did try, about a year ago (I'll have to check the boc-l archives for the exact date, if you require it). Rik knows far too much to accept constructive criticism from ignorant non-professionals such as myself.

> Asking Rik to prove his web authoring prowess in a public forum is
> fundamentally wrong.

I'd agree, except he was bragging about his web authoring prowess in a public forum. If he's going to brag, I think asking for evidence to support his claims is not unreasonable.

> If you can do better then where's your Hawkwind web page?
> C'mon Guido, we'd love to see it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been toying with doing a HW site. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources available to Rik Rx (he's "official" after all), and as I have a full time job (no, not as a web designer), time is an issue. Additionally, Rik is paid for his work. For me, it would simply be a labor of love. If anyone would like to help by providing any content, it'd be much appreciated. It is something I would like to do.

> http://www.vacano.com is not that wonderful
> really is it? Do you give your brother grief about it? I doubt it.

I think it's a nice site. His use of colors and graphics is tasteful, the text is easy to read, the navigation is effective. I think it's a muck better site than "Mission Control". And yes, when my brother does something bizarre on his site, I call him on it.

To be fair, I'll give you (and anyone else) the chance to slag my work. Here are some examples:

http://eri.uchsc.edu
http://www.lazertime.net
http://home.attbi.com/~nycademon
http://www.spiralrealm.com

Spiral Realm is not finished, and I haven't had time to pursue it. But then, it's not my primary source of income.

> Ever heard the word Elitist? You come across as one and after reading your
> recent emails the first thought that springs to mind is "What a ****."

Fair enough, maybe you're right. But in the interests of fairness, you might take a closer look at Rik's posts. He misrepresents himself, claiming a professional status (and a distasteful accompanying arrogance) that he does not possess. He treats any and all criticism with disdain. I've found his attitude infuriating, and yes, I suppose I've over-reacted.

> FYI This email has been written under the influence of a few jars of the
> finest Timothy Taylor's Landlord. No doubt my grovelling apology, after
> spouting off, will appear in this arena soon...just like others.

Ah, well, maybe we'll meet some time, get drunk, and laugh our asses off about this. Stranger things have happened.

> P.S. Oh yeah, nearly forgot....this email is "without prejudice" :-)

Okay. :-)

Guido