OFF: WebDesign flames

ChrisW Work CWarburton at OAG.COM
Fri Aug 30 07:07:40 EDT 2002

We're all getting a bit heated here aren't we???
I think that shouting at each other about aesthetic criteria is a bit
pointless - one man's meat & all that.

For my 2p worth (and meant in a spirit of amiable suggestion), if the idea
is to disseminate information easily to the widest possible fanbase I would
have thought that rather than trying to cater separately for umpteen
different kinds of browser, it would make sense to build the bulk of the
site to be www standards compliant: I know that some desirable features can
only be implemented using "bells & whistles" or browser-specific
functionality, but can't they be restricted to areas where they're needed?
In my own case, I have on at least one occasion taken my business to
somebody's rival because they had a website that didn't function in the
browser that I was obliged to use at the time - in fact, it ****ed up the PC
and locked it up so badly that it had to get the BRS treatment.    After
all, the whole original idea of the web was to provide a universal method of
information access....

ChrisW
(Another computing professional *G*)