BOC/OFF: the rock and roll hall of fame

Scruton, Jason Jason.Scruton at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Mon Dec 2 09:14:00 EST 2002

went with my family to said institution.

Of interest to the list, Handsome Dick Manitoba's Boots and Coat from "Go
Girl Crazy!" cover pic are on display in the uppoer left hand corner of the
"PUNK" case... which is good beause its a very Brit heavy display, excepting
the Ramones.

Sand thing was the gift shop(pe) was owned n' operated by FYE.
Genre wise, psychadelic music,metal,surf music were either buried or I didnt
see any representative group mem'ribilia there.
Closest it got was Brian Jones' mellotron from Satanic Majesties Request.

and theo, brace yourself:

Rush had a display there. Neil Pearts drums from the Counterparts tour.
Bon Jovi had a wall to call its own. that's not right.

oN the other hand,
it had the guitars of Muddy waters and willie dixon and the instruments of
the Who. those 5 things more than make up for the sins of commission.

i found it interesting that patrons are not given the opportunity to vote at
the museum for the potential list of inductees. THe MC5 are on the list this
time (woo hoo!)

Rock and roll is dead (at least if the museum is playing the Eagles as you
approach it). and its not dead, too.
in closing, the museum affirms some of the truly bright spots of the past,
enough to reaffirm one's convictions in the present (and to sharpen your eye
for the scariness that passes as 'mainstream').

jason