OFF: "originals"

Reefer Minimalism stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon Dec 2 14:02:14 EST 2002

Sorry for the delay on this one:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:33:30 +1300, David Howard & Kim Pieters
<info at RELEVENTS.ORG> wrote:
>While Fripp has scrupulously acknowledged
>that Eno introduced him to the compositional techniques used in
>Frippertronics/Soundscapes, Eno borrowed those techniques from the
>classicist Steve Reich's work with tape recorders.

In 'Early Minimalism' Tony Conrad claims that he in fact was the first to
use tape delay and looping in a performing/composing context with one of
his works from 1961. He further states that Terry Riley then experimented
with this idea a year later (but doesn't explicitly state that Riley got
the idea from him, though it seems to be implied) and that Reich followed
after (and he DOES explicitly state that Reich got it from Riley). Conrad
does not seem to be overly fond of Reich, and I can't claim to have more
than a superficial knowledge of modern musical history, but he does make a
convincing case.

Stephan