HW/OFF: One Brighton hotel, and a warning

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Dec 4 12:04:09 EST 2002

[I've broadened the topic to HW/OFF since my warning at the
bottom is relevent to anyone travelling in the UK or France,
whether for Hawkwind or otherwise.  Replies re. Brighton in
particular should be set back to just HW.]

> [Newcastle?]

Nope, I'm joining the parade tomorrow night in Stoke.

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:15:45AM +0000, M Holmes wrote:
> P.S: Any tips on hotels in Brighton?

Darn, I have a long list of them, but it's at home, and so's the
URL I got it from, and I'm heading to the airport tonight direct
from work.

I'm staying at:
        The Brighton Marina House
        8 Charlotte St.
        BN2 1AG
        Voice: +44 (0)1273 605349
        Fax: +44 (0)1273 679484

Picked for no good reason; mostly because (a) it's cheap, and
after being forced to spend £62 in Leeds (Leeds? *Leeds?*), I was
in the mood to save some money, and (b) I was burned out on
phoning hotels all over England, and just wanted the job *done*.

It looks to me as though anything in BN2 will be within walking
distance, though perhaps just barely.  multimap.com is your
friend :-)

WARNING re. activehotels.com, aka activebooking.com:  Their
reservations aren't dependable!  I reserved my (first) room in
Leeds through them, got a confirmation number and everything;
then received email the next day to the effect that it had been
cancelled.  Turns out the hotel only updates the web site twice a
day with new room-availability info, so by the time I made my
reservation, all the rooms were already booked -- and the site
didn't know that, so "reserved" one for me anyway.

My other activehotels booking is fine -- which I know because I
phoned the hotel to verify it.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Just Say No to the "faceless cannonfodder" stereotype.
        - http://www.ainurin.net/ (an Orc site)