Opening Night in Newcastle

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Dec 4 21:05:04 EST 2002

Looks like I'm first to post.Pretty tired since I just got back so quick
comment and a setlist:

Aerospaceage Inferno
Angels of Death
Time Captains (Arthur Brown track)
<Arthur Brown track unknown to me>
Master of the Universe
The Gremlin/Song of The Gremlin
Hurry on Sundown
Lighthouse
The Watcher
Assassins of Allah/Space is Their Palestine
You Shouldn't Do That
--
Sonic Attack
Silver Machine

We were down near a speaker in the stalls and the sound was a bit muddy
and stressed. Dunno if it was the same elsewhere but I hope it gets sorted.
It was great to hear Hawkwind do Time Captains with Arthur Brown. I
really like that track and I've always hoped they'd cover it. The other
Brown track didn't work for me but perhaps that's just lack of
familiarity. Arthur also did lead vocals on a few other tracks. he'd
have been good on Silver Machine and Master of the Universe if he'd
known the lyrics, but that's fixable with a little effort. He was good
doing the Gremlin and certainly less hammy than Moorcock on Sonic Attack
though not as good as Nik. Sonic Attack finished backed instrumentally
by a track I should recognise (Anna Seed?) but couldn't quite place (anyone?).

Highlights of the evening were The Watcher and Shouldn't Do That with
Song of the Gremlin and Time Captains getting honourable mention. Best
effort goes to Alan and Richard with Alan very clearly enjoying himself.
Arthur went at his part with gusto and Huw perked up towards the end.
Dave looked out from behind the keyboard a couple of times and looked
pleased to be out here again.

Tim's set I'm sorry to say lacked punch and was only 30 minutes which
most of the audience talked through.  I'd say to Tim: if you don't want
to sing New Jerusalem then that's cool, just blast the track out a la
Waterfalls in Space.  Play around with the track and have fun and we'll
love it.  Of the set, Tide of the century worked best.

In Summary: Hawkwind have cleared the tower but aren't yet at Throttle
Up.

FoFP