Arthur Brown

Alan Linsley alankerren at YAHOO.CO.UK
Thu Dec 5 03:03:29 EST 2002

Arthur Brown is mostly remembered for the classic 60s
single "Fire", you'd know it if it was played to you.
He used to perform it with a sort of tray strapped to
the top of his head which was full of some flammable
liquid which he would light, and occasionally burn
himself etc.  Others on the list will be able to give
a more accurate appraisal of his career I'm sure.

His significance to HW is that he was always admired
by Dave Brock.  Whenever you read articles or
interviews about the early days of HW and what their
influences were, Brock often mentions Arthur Brown as
an example of somebody who was always doing something
interesting on stage, always trying to liven up the
performance.  This led to HW always having dancers,
fire eaters, mime artists and the like.  So the AB
connection is not a musical or personnel thing, I
think it's more to do with inspiration and Dave
Brock's whole philosophy of what a good HW gig should
be about.  I'm sure Brock is pleased as punch to have
AB along as a guest.

AL
 --- Michael Blackman <michael_1968 at OZEMAIL.COM.AU>
wrote: > Is he the chap who sang silver machine at the
2001