HW: Manchester

Dave Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Sat Dec 7 13:44:08 EST 2002

Alan Linsley wrote:

>Missed some of Tim's
>set here but nothing to add from the previous evening
>really.  At both gigs he left the stage saying "I may
>be back later with some friends..." which got a good
>cheer.

Tim's set list was:
Random doodlings whilst trying to get his Mac sorted out (took 2 reboots!)
Tide of the Century
Something I didn't recognise - an instrumental - maybe it's a new one?
Crystal Island

He played for around 30 mins & I thought he was pretty good. But my
enjoyment was slightly marred by the amount of background chat from the
audience. Why do these people bother?

>I felt they were on full throttle here
>throughout, with a baying crowd right behind them all
>the way.

Yep - I'd go along with that. I thought the "core" of Brock, Davey &
Chadwick played a blinder & Arthur Brown fitted in well. I'd go along
with those who said that Time Captains was terrific (never heard this
before - any ideas which album it's on?), the other AB song less so. Other
highlights for me were Aerospaceage Inferno, Out of the Shadows, MotU
(that's one in the eye for Nik, then!), Hurry on Sundown (this has become
a real crowd favourite these days & possibly got the biggest response
of the night) & the main set closer Shouldn't Do That/Seeing It/Earth
Calling. The latter is ostensibly a new song - and a great one at that - but
why so brief? It's crying out for another verse & chorus & a good jammy
break.

>(Huw's soloing is a bit hit & miss overall really ).

Hmm. That's a bit of an understatement, IMHO. Sadly (& I'm a big fan of
Huwy's), I think he looked like he was really struggling to fit in & at
times looked like he was at a loss as to what to play. I got the impression
that Dave & Alan were none too impressed by this - there seemed to be
knowing glances exchanged between them following some of Huwy's
bum notes. Also, Tim's contribution was virtually inaudible for much
of the gig (from my position, at least).

To be honest, I missed Simon's violin & am chuffed to learn that he'll be
around later in the tour, even though I won't be able to get to any of those
gigs. But, all told, a good night & I'm thoroughly envious of those able to
make the Xmas party. Have a good one, folks.

Dave