Official Post From Hawkwind

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Dec 11 11:47:18 EST 2002

On 11 Dec 2002 at 12:20, Mike Montfort wrote:

> Really Dumb move on the band's part.

Ya think?

> Lessee.. now ..
>
> 1) they won't come to America cause they have some previous problems
> with immigration.
>
> 2) now I can't collect the shows I miss cause they only tour in the
> UK.
>
> 3) Think it's time to turn in my HWKWND plates and find another band.
>
> 4) People will still record.. that wont stop.
>
> 5) recordings will sound worse.
>
> 6) worse recordings will gather in fewer new fans to buy their
> sporadic releases.
>
> 7) fewer new fans means a stagnant or shrinking income steam.
>
> Yep sounds very bright to me.. but Dave is SOO not known for his
> bright business choices.  Apparently Dave has no understanding of the
> taper community phenomenon surrounding bands like Phish. the Dead/the
> Other Ones, SCI etc etc etc.  These bands had relatively NO studio
> sales.  Taped shows brought in new fans.  New fans bought the few
> albums available and went to shows.

And this is where bands make money anyway.  Nobody except maybe Metallica
makes ANY money from selling CDs.  But a smart band with a loyal fanbase
[hmm...] can make a ton of money by putting on good shows and letting the fans
know they value their presence at gigs by having a taper-friendly policy.  BTW, all
the bands you mentioned make so much more money than HW it isn't even funny...

  These bands became.. should I say
> it.. comfortably off from their music!

I think HW must think that somehow taping will hurt legitimate product's sales!  What
a myth!  The only people this policy hurts are rabid fans who already buy all official
releases in every format they can find.  If Dave thinks he's going to somehow get
rich from sales of new HW stuff to new fans--well, I guess the dope on the other side
of the pond is a lot better than what we get here!  Yep, stab your most loyal fans
through the heart when you're a band that's limping home from 30 years on the road
[when it suits you].  Sounds like a great plan!

theo