Official Post From Hawkwind.

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Dec 11 11:54:33 EST 2002

On 11 Dec 2002 at 20:30, Alisa wrote:

> > Yeah, I hear the label has it narrowed down to HW and BÖC over who
> > will
> get the
> > contract and make them all millionaires...
>
> Some evil irony, yes?
>
> It's a business. Ruled not by bands but by record labels. For example,
> If label said no unofficial live recordings, band should follow it. Of
> course it can be just a myth that these recordings reduce album sales.

Well, the Grateful Dead never made ANY new CDS, and they were the highest-
earning band in the world at the time of Jerry's death.  I'll repeat it again for the folks
in the back benches:  BANDS DON'T MAKE DIDDLY FROM RECORD SALES!!

> But ok, will you go to all numerous record companies and explain them
> it?

Record companies are irrelevant to a band like HW, only the band doesn't have the
courage to admit it.  HW would do so much better if they self-produced all their stuff
and direct marketed it.  They just don't have the will to make a leap like that, for
some reason.  Hell, BÖC didn't make a new CD for 10 years, and they make more
money in a month than HW does in a whole year, because they're 'On Tour Forever'
and are shrewd about managing their overhead.  I think HW are getting bad advice,
and they're willing to take it...

I know some people from this business... if you can explain them
> at least something that's a success. They live in their own world.

Well, I think they're about to fall off their cloud in the years ahead.  In a few years,
bands will no longer need them...

theo