Official Post From Hawkwind

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed Dec 11 16:31:21 EST 2002

On 11 Dec 2002 at 17:16, John Majka wrote:

> No big deal really.
> We all know, and HW knows, that taping will go on as usual.  This
> message sounds as if there is some sort of directive from perhaps
> record-company camps advising HW to make an official statement
> prohibiting such activity.

Quite likely so.  But the pronouncement does nothing to ehlp the band, and definitely
puts the band in a bad light.  Of course, tapers will be tapers...

 Is there a new label deal in the works or
> something?  Taping definitely doesn't hurt a band's sales or restrict
> its fanbase, and I've always been puzzled by the record companies'
> inability to understand this.

I expect they want to be portrayed as the only viable conduit for getting a band's
output.  They don't want the punters to get used to the idea of there being an
alternative to their supply network...

All the official releases will still be
> bought by fans anyway... and hey, who even knows about or cares about
> bootlegs?  the general public certainly doesn't.

And hardcore fans disdain boots anyway...

 theo