HW: Official Post From Hawkwind

Ben Fagin vulcanfoundry at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Wed Dec 11 20:02:17 EST 2002

Good idea, but why make it sound so jumped up, eh?

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU] On
Behalf Of Bryan Young
Sent: 12 December 2002 00:54
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: Re: HW: Official Post From Hawkwind

Some bands actually sell their boots online.  Nazareth has a website
where
you can order a few.  Not much, but the price is halfway-decent and it's
nice that they're making the effort.

So, maybe this is another reason why the announcement was made.  Since
we're
in "speculation mode", how about this scenario?

---incoming transmission received----
<<<<<decoding>>>>>
------message begins----
Hawkwind Announces Fan-Based Program To Sell Bootlegs Online

   by Lou Zehr, Assimilated Press

The world was taken by storm earlier today with announcements by the
mighty
Hawkwind that fan-taping and cdr-trading of live shows was requested to
cease.

All tapers are asked not to record any further Hawkwind concerts.  All
fans
are asked not to trade any such "bootlegs" amongst themselves.

In place of this, a new structure will be created.  A fan-based program
will
now sell these recordings online.  One designated taper has been
officially
contracted to travel with the band and serve as official "fan-taper".
His
works will be submitted to the quality control experts at the Neo-Quark
Institute, who will master the recording to cdr and produce tasty
artwork to
accompany the piece of music history.  Then, a fan-based cdr network
will
create cdr copies "on demand" each time the Hawkwind Mission Control
receives a Galactic Transfer for a cdr order.  The price will be quite
low,
as no excess copies need to sit around in a warehouse.  And the band
will
receive a tangible benefit from the distribution of these recordings.

However, for this initiative to work properly, all trading must be
completely stamped out.  Since it does NOT result in fewer live
recordings
available (rather, it results in a more reliable source and better
quality),
it's expected that all fans will buy into the new system.

---end of transmission---

Now, that's a GOOD reason that I would stand behind.  And Colin's the
guy to
swing such a deal.  So, Colin, is that the secretive news that you've
got?
Or is the speculation train of thought on the wrong tracks once again?

Cheers,

Bryan