Voiceprint

Steve Youles youless at LVCM.COM
Thu Dec 12 01:52:06 EST 2002

Hi Guido!

Well, here's my totally biased personal opinion on the entire Voiceprint
ouevre.  All IMHO remember:

HAWKVP5CD AtomHenge
-------------------
Not got this.  Live 1976 album, heard some of the tracks, sound quality is
good to middling.  If you want live versions of ASAM material, this is for
you.  Almost identical to Thrilling Hawkwind Adventures, I believe.

HAWKVP16CD Book/CD
------------------
Huh?  This is listed on Voiceprint's site, no other details available.
Looks like something new.  Adrian Parr's book????

HAWKVP22CD Canterbury Fayre 2001
--------------------------------
I've got the boot of this, which is very topical, and I will be buying the
album and destroying my copy of the boot.  Excellent live HW, a lot of mid-
70's and early 80's material.

BP309CD Dawn of Hawkwind
------------------------
No.  Not a must-have.

HAWKVP13CD Family Tree
----------------------
Solo tracks by current & ex-members, and I nearly always find the solo
stuff v disappointing compared to HW.  Not a must-have.

HAWKVP17CD In Your Area
-----------------------
Well this is a core album, but it's...lame... Thrashy stuff courtesy of Ron
Tree/Jerry Richards interspersed with ambient keyboard noodlings.  Not a
must-have.

HAWKVP1CD Live At Glastonbury 1990
----------------------------------
The one with the dog barking.  No.

HAWKVP12CD Nottingham 90
------------------------
If you like live albums, this is a good one.  California Brainstorm or
Palace Springs are probably better, and from the same period, but this is
all right.  Maybe give this a miss and get the Classic Rock DVD cuz the
better half of this set is the soundtrack to that DVD.

HAWKVP4CD Official Bootleg vol 1: Complete 79
Bootleg quality.  If you've got Live 79 I wouldn't bother with this.

HAWKVP3CD Official Bootleg vol 2: Choose Your Masques
Ditto, but substitute Choose Your Masques for Live 79.

HAWKVP18CD Spacebrock
---------------------
Well this is a strange one.  None of it is new, but it hangs together very
nicely.  Think of it as Church of Hawkwind Vol 2.... I'd get this.

HAWKVP6CD The Weird Tapes 1
---------------------------
Oh you must, you must, you must :-)  Sonic Assassins stuff!!

HAWKVP7CD The Weird Tapes 2
---------------------------
Must have.

HAWKVP8CD The Weird Tapes 3
---------------------------
ESSENTIAL!  The best bits of Watchfield 75 and Stonehenge 77.  The latter
especially was a blinding gig, which I missed seeing by one day as HW's
press office misinformed me as to when they were playing, grrrrrr!

HAWKVP9CD The Weird Tapes 4
---------------------------
Awesome punky live performance from the Hawklords.  A Must-have.

HAWKVP10CD The Weird Tapes 5
----------------------------
Live stuff from 76 and 77, sound quality a bit iffy, but I like this!  Must
have.

HAWKVP11CD The Weird Tapes 6
----------------------------
Live stuff from the early 70's, yeah, you need this one.

HAWKVP14CD The Weird Tapes 7
Dave Brock demos, strangely compelling.  Buy if funds allow.

HAWKVP19CD Yule Ritual - London Astoria 29.12.2000
Stonking live album, a bit over-produced.  I'd put this on a par with the
Do Not Panic album.  Must-have.

The above listing from Voiceprint's new URL:

http://www.voiceprint.org.uk/catalogue.php/Artist/H/#Hawkwind

Hope that helps, happy hunting Guido

Steve