HW: the two wise men of the Apocalypse: Ron Tree and Capt. Rizz

Amphetamine Embalmer superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri Dec 13 00:06:44 EST 2002

I was just thinking about these guys and how much they
contributed to the Hawkwind sound in the latter half
of the 90's. Ron Tree (Bastard) always seemed like the
new Nik Turner to me, bringing a punk edge to the band
again unheard since the 80's with stuff like "Reptoid
Vision" and "Phetamine Street" and the giant stage
prop robot. When I saw them in NYC in '95 he just blew
me away in full flight goggles and a fluorescent paint
spattered lab coat doing "Master Of The Universe" and
"Urban Guerilla", it was hardcore at its best with the
subtle reggae bits in Urban Guerilla really making the
grade too. I also liked his version of "Lord Of Light"
on the "Love In Space" EP and some of stuff off "Alien
4" as well like "Beam Me Up" and stuff. Anyway, as for
Captain Rizz, I thought him such a wise Rastafarian
philosopher of The Apocalypse (as Ron Tree also seemed
such a philospher on the Apocalypse too with "I am The
Reptoid") that he just made the grade as full time
member in my opinion. His whole thing on "Wheels"
about oil and the rap that goes "Hawkwind's in your
area, Hawkwind's on your land" was just great. In
spite of what people have said about him, I just
thought he added to the spirit and anarchy of the
Hawkwind spirit that made Hawkwind so great in the
early and mid 80's with Nik Turner, Alan Davey, Danny
Thompson and Huw Lloyd-Langton and the rest of the
guys in the band. It's great to know Huw and Alan
(Ali) are back in the band but shouldn't there be a
fully fledged new studio album in the works from this
rejuvinated classic 80's lineup?

Anyway, I just had to ease my mind about Ron and Rizz
because it's been on my mind for awhile. Does anyone
share my opinions on them? Aren't they the two wise
men of the Apocalypse??

Chr.