HW: Official Post From Hawkwind

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Dec 13 07:06:56 EST 2002

On 12 Dec 2002 at 19:56, DRider wrote:

> Some folks on the list have bashed a band I love called moe.

Not so much bashing moe. as not appreciating Al's presence on stage for half of
BÖC's set, which naturally forced them to play fewer songs, I think?

 Funny
> thing is though..... moe. invited BOC to the Jammy's at NYC's Roseland
> Ballroom earlier this year to jam a few of their classics on stage to
> a very eclectic crowd. This gave BOC alot of exposure to many new
> fans. A big Thanx should be given to moe. No one else has said it. So
> I am!

I think BÖC showed that appreciation by letting Al sit in with them for several tunes
at the Utica gig.  I was happy as hell to see Al get up there, because he is clearly a
big-time BÖC fan--he knew their songs inside out.  His approach was almost
reverential.  It was great to see a rising young star hang with BÖC, even though he
was playing through an unfamiliar amp, and wound up getting shredded by BD--who
wouldn't?  And let me now join you in thanking moe. for inviting them to the Jammys.
Anyone who doesn't think of BÖC as a jamming band, listen to LDoM on the new
DVD...

> But I digress - too much fun reading Lemmy's book, I guess.....
>
> You don't have to like moe. to understand my next point either.
>
> They had been playing for a few years before they got signed by
> Electra Records. Yeah, the same label as Phish

Another hugely successful group whose CDs don't sell all that briskly, yet hold
concerts for audiences over 100k on occasion...

> Some time back, they started releasing their live performances
> OFFICIALLY on their own label. They call the series, "Warts & All".
> The latest show they released is from Atlanta back in February. I was
> there and I taped it too! They sent out a post asking us fans to vote
> for our favorite show of the tour and we all voted for that show. Most
> of the people that were voting already had an audience recording of
> the show. That's how they knew how good it was. When it was OFFICIALLY
> released, I bought it!
>
> I no longer copy my audience recording for anyone. If they want it,
> they can buy it straight from the band. Support the band - that's the
> motto!

That's all anoyone wants in the first place!  BÖC don't have a taping policy, but I
would buy every concert they recorded under such a plan.  I think you just turned me
into a moe. fan.  I would prefer to get a live disc from the band themselves than
trade for it, and I'd be happy to see the band get a few bucks for it...

> No - Britney Spears (and the like) does not EVEN factor into this
> scenario!!
>
> There's not such thing as "live" recording of Britney Spears. LOL!!

Sure there is.   the backing tracks had to be recorded by someone sometime, didn't
they?  Unless it's ALL sequenced!

> Have you come to this decision because you are going to start playing
> new material in concert and you don't want that material to be
> circulated until the next album is released??
>
> I can understand that to some extent. But if this is the case and the
> songs are good it will be all the talk amongst fans:

Yep, taper-friendly bands routinely preview stuff they're working on for new albums
at their live gigs.  Doesn't stop the fans from buying the CD the day it's released!

> "Hawkwind played 2 new songs tonight. They were great!
> Dave said that they will be on the new record...."
>
> Say a live audience recording was made of that particular show.
> Everyone that was not there will want to get a copy of the show, so
> they can hear the new songs. Especially, if it was the first time they
> were played. That has major historical significance to a fan. People
> that weren't at the show and get a copy will be saying, "Man, I love
> both the new songs!!  I can not wait to buy the new record when it
> comes out!!"

I used to be on the GM list, and this is exactly the kind of exchange that happens all
the time among fans.  Fans who will move heaven and earth to get the new CD with
the same tune on it...

theo