Yule Ritual

Jerry Guizar jguizar at STNY.RR.COM
Sat Dec 21 16:29:35 EST 2002

From: "M Holmes" <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK>

> Andrew Garibaldi writes:
>
> > Well - if ya want to be "picky", it's illegal to do CDR copies of
anything
> > that is legal copyrighted product, especially if it's still in print.
>
> That's not my understanding. For example it was legal to make a tape of
> an LP you owned for use in your car. It's also legal to make backups of
> things you've bought legally so long as you don't let anyone else use
> those backups.

   I thought he was talking about the paragraph below. The part about
making a backup ("copy") for someone else (from your CD). I'm not
a lawyer, but I'm not too sure about the last part. Under Fair Use in
the US, I believe I can make copies of CD's I own, and I can even
put together a 'compilation' CD which I can give to a friend, but I
don't think I can make a copy for someone else - unless they
provided me with the original and I returned both the original
and backup. Again, I'm not a lawyer and it's just my opinion.

> > Maybe the solution would be for those who have the non-heavy version to
> > assist with backups for those with the heavy one. As I understand it,
> > it's not illegal to have backups for personal use of something you've
> > already bought and it's not illegal for someone to help make those
backups.