Dark Sun

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Feb 3 13:08:50 EST 2002

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Guido Vacano wrote:

:Subject: Re: Dark Sun
:
:Is viewing Flash sites a security risk?
:

Has been so in the past (but then again, many programs have been security
risks in the past)

(see: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/TJSL-4WRQ43)

ActiveX, of course, has been a source of much security pain.

Mostly, though, it comes down to an issue of trust.  If you trust
the site you are viewing, then you should be fine.

I tend to surf with activex, flash, java, javascript all turned off
(if I use a gui browser....as I tend to use a text based browser much of
the time) unless I trust the site that I'm viewing.

mission control, for instance ;-)

Arin
Arin Komins                                   akomins at uchicago.edu
Manager of Web Systems Architecture
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559