OFF: space rock?

Michael W Blackman Michaelangelo68 at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 3 16:50:13 EST 2002

In a message dated 4/02/02 8:06:18 AM Cen. Australia Daylight Time,
nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK writes:

> Not sure, but Calvert describes Nik Turner using the term in '69 or '70
> (in the interview at Tim Gadd's site, URL should be in the archives), and
> that this was the first time he (Calvert) had heard it.
>
> However it's possible that the term may have already been around: it
> wouldn't surprise me if its first usage was in connection with Pink Floyd,
> who had already been playing "spacey" music for 2-3 years by then

I recall reading somewhere that Bob Calvert had met someone (Nik Turner ???
can't remember....) within Hawkwind and had heard that they (Hawkwind) were
playing a new type of music they called Space Rock - and that Bob Calvert
thought that was a really cool concept.
I can't recall ever seeing any reference to Floyd being space rockers.
anyway - doesn't help much with the question.  I think the people would know
best would be those founding members of the time.
But I doubt they would want to share that peice of info online as it would no
doubt start a big squabble amongst the boc'lers
perhaps - maybe not - Ni!!!!!!!!