NIK: ICU Xmas Party

Thu Feb 7 07:08:41 EST 2002

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 11:20:09PM +0000, Steve Pond typed out:

> Jons review was interesting, bye & large I agree with it, altho there are some
> glaring inaccuracies.. :)  we did play Skinheads in Leningrad (in the loo
> Jon?) and the "No Limits" style song I sang near the end was an ironic rocking
> version of Kylie Minogues super giant number one for weeks & weeks hit single
> "Can't get you out of my head".. which translates to a 2 chord thrash rather
> nicely methinks. :)  (demo version I made for ther band to learn here:
> http://208.50.7.128/mp3/cant_get_you_out_of_my_head__steve_pond.mp3)

        Glaring innaccuracy should be my middle name, only there's already
one there :-) Having only heard `Skinheads' the once before I thought I
could recognise it but I was obviously wrong. What? Haven't I got _The
Maximum Effect_ yet? Well, no, but peace, it will happen music has to be
budgeted for even on fat-cat state Ph.D. funding. As for Kylie's song,
yeah, I actually heard it a few weeks later, had missed it up till then. I
gave up listening to the radio in something like 1998 you see, because
there wasn't any station that didn't make me want to switch off within
three tracks. Pop kind of passes me by. I got a grip on it when kylie was
first having No 1s after all :-)

> Regarding "Dumbing Down" to the drummer, I agree Dino is *very* different from
> Mick Stupp, but he's just as fast a drummer, & he swings more, but Stupp
> definitely had a stronger personality & often led from the back, but he's
> swapped drums for the guitar & we already have 2 of those, so..

        What did he want to do that for? He was a good drummer... No, I'm
sure Dino is an equally good drummer in a different way because people who
saw him last time round have told me so, but the two shows I've seen him
at he gave me a strong impression of being unable to keep up. It may just
be that I'm expecting to hear something different, but on songs like
`World of lSD' it makes a difference that the kit isn't being really
walloped.

> I`ve sent Dino a CD with the bits he's unfamiliar with on, so maybe he'll be
> more to your liking next time..

        It ought to enable me to work out whether the problem is mine
alone or not, anyway :-) Sorry to be so down on him.

> The band "feels" very much like ICU to me, I wouldn`t be in it if it didn`t,
> there was a time during the 1st day of rehearsals back in October when I was
> desperately thinking of escape excuses, but luckily things "clicked" and we're
> back in the saddle again.. don`t expect the set to be composed of "oldies" for
> much longer.. :)

        When's it coming out then? :-) Yours,
                                              Jon

ObCD-R: Spiritual Beggars - _Mantra III_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk