OFF: Netscapeism.

Thu Feb 7 07:22:22 EST 2002

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 08:10:38PM -0500, DASLUD at AOL.COM typed out:
> AOL uses IE, which on my machine is the 'default browser'...

        Discovered yesterday that my College have rather clumsily deleted
IE frim all their machines suddenly, no idea why...

> Earlier this year, Netscape made much noise about their Netscape 6, but there
> were problems, such as the screen suddenly (and frequently) going black while
> browsing, requiring a restart...nnnggghhh
> I have their mail hyping Netscape 6.1, but havent gone to get it...

        I've heard nothing good about any version of 6 and the general
opinion of Netscape among Microsoft-hating geeks i know is that while
they'd love to use Netscape it just isn't as good as IE, indeed, in the
case of 6 it's actually bad.

> Now I'm using 4.6, as it was in the machine just then.

        Except at home, so am I. It does.

> Did y'all ever consider getting the Opera browser?...Said to be very fast....

        Tried the 3.1 version (4) but it wouldn't run properly, some
corruption of libraries issue which I didn't have time to solve; will at
some point see if the new version runs under this OS but yes, I've heard
that it is super-quick but that it doesn't quite do everything. Anything
outside the two giants (apart from NCSA Mosaic I should say) looks good to
me though. Yours,
                  Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk